How To Identify And Get Rid Of A Termite Infestation In Your Tampa Home
September 15, 2022 - Termites
If you're a homeowner in Tampa, FL, then you need to be aware of the threat of termites here. These pesky insects can cause serious damage to your home if they are not treated properly, and it can be difficult to spot the damage on your own. Wise Owl Plus will discuss termite identification, why and how they infest homes, what attracts them, and how professional termite pest control in Tampa can help you get rid of them for good.
How To Identify Termites And Their Damage
Termites are small, winged insects that live in colonies. They are often confused with ants, but there are a few distinct differences between the two. For example, termites have antennae that are straight, while antennae on ants are bent. Termites also have a thicker waist and longer wings than ants.
If you think you may have termites, it's important to look for signs of damage. Termites eat wood from the inside out, so you may not see them if they're hidden in your walls or other hard-to-reach places. However, there are some telltale signs of termites that you can look for:
- Mud tubes on the outside of your home
- Hollow-sounding wood
- Discarded wings
- Discolored or warped wood
If you see any of these signs of termites in your home, it's important to call a termite control professional like Wise Owl Plus right away.
Why And How Termites Infest And Destroy Homes
Termites are attracted to homes for two main reasons: food and shelter. Wood is an ideal food source for termites because it contains cellulose, which they eat. Termites will also infest a home if they think it will provide them with the shelter they need to survive.
They enter homes through cracks in the foundation or other small openings. Once they're inside, they'll build their nests and start eating away at the wood in your home. If left untreated, active termites can cause serious damage to your home's structure.
Factors That Attract Termites To Homes And How To Remove Them
There are a few factors that tend to attract termites to your home:
- Wooden structures: As we mentioned before, termites are attracted to wood because it's a food source. While all homes have wood, some homes have more wooden structures than others. You can reduce the risk of attracting termites by reducing the amount of wood on your property, especially by storing firewood, lumber, and wood chips away from your home.
- Moisture: Termites are also attracted to moisture. They need it to survive, so they're often found near sources of water like leaky pipes, condensation, and damp crawl spaces. You can reduce the risk of attracting termites by fixing any leaks in your home and ensuring that your crawl space is well ventilated.
- Decaying vegetation: If you have decaying vegetation on your property, it can attract termites. Be sure to clean up any fallen leaves, branches, or other organic matter to reduce the risk of attracting them.
By eliminating these factors, you can make your home less attractive to termites and reduce the risk of infestation.
The Benefits Of Year-Round Professional Termite Control
The best way to protect your home from a termite problem is to have regular treatments performed by a professional pest control company. Wise Owl Plus offers a variety of quality termite control solutions in Tampa. Whether you have an infestation or you're just trying to prevent one, our team can help.
By taking steps to keep termites away before they become a problem, you can avoid the costly damage they can cause. You'll also have peace of mind knowing that your home is protected against these destructive pests.
So don't wait; call Wise Owl Plus today and ask about our termite control services. We'll help you keep your home termite-free all year long.
"Wise Owl Plus did a terrific job removing rodents from my attic. They were able to come out the same day I called. They were very professional and the service was preformed better than expected. They removed all the insulation, sanitized the attic, sealed all holes and laid down new insulation in my attic."
I would definitely hire them again and would recommend them for any pest problems.